Just a resurrected Mac CC.
Narrative and Provenance »
Received from a client dropoff at the shop. The original owner is known and I have data on file with machine. The computer worked for years then died when tested again in 2014. Decided a year later to re-do the capacitors on it and it lives to compute again.
Vital Stats »
- Model Number: M1600
- Serial Number: SG3130AZC2C – The 373rd manufactured during the 13th week of 1993 in Singapore.
- Build Date: March 1993
Acquisition Data »
- Acquisition Date: Pre-2005
- Acquisition Method: Donation
- Acquired From: Client Dropoff
Physical Condition »
- Vitals: MacOS, RAM, SCSI HDD
- Condition: Fair.
- 25 November 2015: performed a capacitor replacement on the logic board and resurrected the machine. All electrolytic capacitors removed. All electrolyte cleaned from board with isopropanol. All new tantalum caps installed. Negative pad on capacitor C8 completely ripped off, but managed to run a rework wire from the negative lead to a board via, then added a small daub of Elmer’s Glue to keep the wire in place.
- 30 November 2014: Machine will not power on. Replaced PRAM Battery. Bad capacitors: cleaned electrolyte from logic board, but no go. Board needs to have capacitors replaced, likely.
- Repair Links:
- Disassembly Guide: http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/legacy/color_classic.pdf
- Capacitor List: https://wiki.68kmla.org/Capacitor_Replacement#Macintosh_Color_Classic
- Tool Reccomendations: https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/17682-pro-tip-for-recapping-boards/#p177792
- Other: Power cable not present. None of the associated packaging or manuals is present.
Associated Accessories »
- Apple Keyboard II [M0487]
- Apple Desktop Bus Mouse II [M2706]